I
live like a ghost in these walls.
I
hear your voice below me and ache to call out to you but know I cannot. From
the small hole in the ceiling I am fortunate enough to occasionally look down
and catch a glimpse of you. I am so proud of the way you care for your
half-sister. I am so happy to watch you brush your hair in the candlelight. I
am so glad to hear your voice reverberate through the walls bringing me untold
joy during countless lonely hours. I am sad when I see your father deny that
you are his blood. When I hear you cry I long to come out from hiding and
comfort you. But I cannot. I am unable to move or even sit. I feel my body
waste away. When it is safe I come out and move about the house like ghost. Late
at night. I take what a little food I can and silently crawl back to my place.
No
ones knows I am here. I cannot risk showing myself. Not even to you. I could no
longer expose myself to your father’s licentiousness, even though it resulted
in you. I pray to the lord that he forgives my cowardice, my fear of the
indignities of your father’s advances and the lash. And once he was done with
me I was the focus of his wife’s abuse. Instead of pitying me for the abuse I
suffered at her husband’s hand, and being property having no way to redress the
wrongs against myself, I was the
target of her vitriolic jealousy. So with no way to redress the injustices
against me and nowhere to flee, here I cower, hiding in the walls and watching
you grow, waiting for the right time.
Sometimes
at night I glide to your room, my body too light from lack of food to creak the
old floorboards, and watch you as you sleep. How I long to caress you but dare
not wake you. It had been years since you’ve seen me, but I see you every night.
I
never liked the way that that boy looked at you. He was vitiated by this
“peculiar institution” like all the other white men. And so when I watched
through my peephole, my only source of visual stimulation during the daylight
hours and much of the night, I was weary when he did not stop his advances even
thoughtyou made it clear they were unwelcome. It was the time that was
dreading. You were fourteen years old and starting to become a woman. He pushed
you against the bookshelf and told you to keep quiet. He tore at your clothes
and I could not let you be a victim the way I was.
I
remember your face, like you were witnessing the appearance of an apparition as
I silently crawled from my hiding spot in the ceiling. You stopped struggling
and stared at me and he took the opportunity to ravish you, mistaking it for
you giving up, devouring your clear dark skin with wide wet kisses like you
were nothing more than a meal, a dessert. With my emaciated body I managed to
pick up a candle stick and walking behind him silently while raising the
candlestick high above my head. Then I brought it down upon the base of his
neck, the weight of it helping my weak arms crush his spine below his skull. He
collapsed to the ground. I told you it was okay, it was me. Your mother. The
fear in your eyes softened and you grabbed me and hugged me tight. I told you I
would always watch over you. When the time came we would escape our bondage.
You
helped me stuff the body into my crawlspace. You’re strong. Just like I was
now. Now here I am stuffed in hole with the body of the boy who tried to take
your purity. He hasn’t started to stink yet, and late at night I’ve been
chopping up a small piece at a time and feeding it to the dog. Bloodhounds
usually don’t like us negroes, but he doesn’t bark when he sees that every
night I have a tasty treat for him. He devours it voraciously, not leaving a
trace. Then I stand over you again, but now I can hug you.
No comments:
Post a Comment