The
rapid explosion of machine gun shells echoed across the ruins. With every shot
I heard the screams from the night before. Tracer ammunition illuminated a
string from its firer to its victim, a faceless enemy hiding somewhere past the
trenches and in the dark. Did they wonder what we looked like too? We told the
rookie to remove those tracers rounds. It gave us away. We knew the plane had
us in our sights but it was already too late. We deserved it. The rumble of the
air to ground missile plunged me into darkness.
I
woke up. I was on the train. The shrapnel still lodged in my side began to
burn, as if reignited by the memories. The rumble of the subway made me uneasy.
Oh well.
It
was amazing that subway even still ran. Only two or three lines were needed.
The provisional government needed them to get rations out to the distribution
centers. There weren’t many. Most of those neighborhoods were empty now. Emptier
even then before. There were no rations on the train today. Just me and my pain
and a soldier, proudly wearing worn out fatigues a over-zealously giving me a
suspicious look.
I
got off at the end of the line and scrambled up the staircase to the surface.
Scavengers wrapped in rags ignored me, hopelessly rummaging through piles of
debris. Rations were a week behind. The sun was still up, not that it mattered
much anymore. Nothing but a grey aura emanated. Ashes, swept across Jamaican
Bay from Queens drifted through the air lazily looking to settle somewhere
amongst the rubble that was once Rockaway Park. I wrapped my tattered jacket
tightly around myself and I felt that old familiar hard steel press against my
ribs. I continued the long walk down the peninsula. It was all decimated. After
everything was over the storms hit us. They hit us hard. As if mother nature,
not wanting to be upstaged by the destruction we inflicted upon ourselves,
decided show us what destruction really was. Most of Rockaway Peninsula was
leveled. The neighborhood of Breezy Point was completely washed to sea. I could
hear the waves rise and fall along the beach like the breath of a sleeping
beast.
There
it was. His house. Somehow it had survived. Just like us. It stood alone
amongst piles of rubbles. A stubborn human growth. Like all of us.
I
waded through the debris to the house and standing on the porch I looked
through the window. He was sitting in an old armchair, facing away from me and
out towards the ocean.
I
creaked open the door and stood there. I clutched the cold steel in my pocket.
“I
think we all shoulda died cause from that airstrike.”
He
was silent. I went go on.
“We
were the only ones who survived. Survived to keep suffering with what we’ve
done and what we helped the world become. I still hear their screams, telling
us to stop, while we urged on the men. We forced ourselves on those women. Who
knows how old the girls were. War is war. But that…”
He
was still silent. Angrily I grabbed the cold hard ugly thing in my pocket and
shoved it in his face.
He’d
beat me to it. Just like he always did. A bullet to the brain.
He
always had a way to keep one step ahead of us.
I
bit that hard steel myself, and followed his path, just like I always did.
No comments:
Post a Comment